Foster and Intake Manager
The purpose of the Foster and Intake Manager role is to oversee all the functions of the foster and intake program and promote HBCA’s life saving mission. This includes supervision and training of all foster and intake volunteers. It is important to ensure the foster care providers have the support, tools and information they need in order to make each animal successful in their foster home. It is important to follow best intake practices and keep a steady population at our Adoption Center. This position is a full-time position that requires a flexible, non-regular work week with the flexibility to work weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining the foster program with seasonal focus on maintaining the feline and neonate fosters.
- Continue the recruitment process for new foster homes which includes reviewing foster applications and possible home visits
- Create and maintain an orientation for new approved fosters
- Oversee daily function of the Foster Coordinator volunteer to ensure day to day operations run smoothly
- Coordinate S/N and vaccine schedules with the Clinics, Foster Coordinator and Transport Driver
- Develop and coordinate foster retention
- Manage inventory and ordering of all foster supplies
- Create, edit and update foster program materials (policies and procedures, applications, agreements, manual, role descriptions, orientation, training, etc.)
- Serve as the rescue’s liaison to our foster parents, volunteers and staff as point of contact for general questions, concerns and escalations
- Facilitate foster animals coming back to the shelter for medical treatment, vaccinations, exams and adoption off-site and adoption center
- Manage the rescue’s database (ASM) by inputting all foster information
- Manage the volunteers who input the animal’s medial information needed including animal pictures, stories and notes to the database
- Scheduling appointments in a timely manner with specialized veterinarian partners when needed to ensure medical treatment is followed up on
- Communicate to the public to fully understand their needs and situations when they want to surrender or have found an abandoned cat/kittens
- Provide other resources and guidance to the public if unable to take their cats/kittens
- Oversee the waitlist for surrenders
- Understand the Adoption Center population to know when it is time to bring in more cats
- Understand and implement best practices for intake
- Understand the resources of the organization at any given time, so intake is in alignment with organization resources (capacity, medical, behavior, age) and needs
- Coordinate S/N and vaccines for cats being brought to the adoption center
- Manage and provide communication to volunteers that help with front desk who take calls on surrenders/found cats/kittens
Additional tasks and responsibilities can be assigned based on the needs of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to create and work within a budget
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/high stress work environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- On-time, reliable and a team player
- Self-motivated in completing tasks
- Strong computer skills including various databases and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong cat handling skills and working knowledge of cat behavior and medical issues
- Ability to work with a diverse population and establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with the public, donors, volunteers and management in a respectful and courteous manner
- At least 1 year of experience with animal sheltering, rescue groups or veterinary medicine
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must love animals and people
- Availability to work various shifts including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays on a need basis
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit, stand, squat and kneel for periods of time
- Physical ability to engage in repetitive motions of legs, arms, and hands, to hear, and to see.
- Allergic conditions, which would be aggravated when handling or working around animals, may be a disqualification.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above job description in its entirety and am capable of performing all of the stated requirements.
Employee Printed Name_______________________________
Employee Signature________________________________________ Date:_____________